Friday, October 21, 2011

Speech of Sr. Annie during the 2011 SCPS reunion


 Note: After the death of Msgr. Caoiliin 1981,  the Most Rev. Gabriel V. Reyes, then Auxiliary Bishop of Manila, became the Parish Priest of Sta. Clara de Montefalco. He solicited the services of the Congregation of the Religious of the Virgin Mary (RVM) to attend to the operation of the school. Sr. M. Annie Balatayo, RVM was appointed as Directress of the Sta. Clara Parish School  (SCPS) in Pasay from  1981 until 1985. She died of pancreas cancer last October 16, 2011 and was buried October 18. Below are excerpts of her speech during the April 30, 2011 Alumni Homecoming at the SCPS grounds.

Good evening.   Alleluia to all!.  It is difficult to put into words what my heart wish to say to you this evening.  Only the Lord, will be able to comprehend this feeling of mine at the moment.   As the saying goes: “when the heart is full, the mouth is silent”.  I am in this predicament now.  However, it would be against the norm for this activity to keep my mouth closed.    Allow me then to say anything under the stars for the purpose of this occasion.

            I am very happy.  Extremely very happy indeed.  Your initiative in allowing this occasion to happen, for us to come together again, on Easter Season 2011, is overwhelming.  We would sing alleluia to the Lord, for the wonders he has done for us.  Praise the Lord.  What shall we say to the Lord at this point in time, “SALAMAT PO PANGINOON”.  The main purpose of having reunion is to give thanks to God for all the blessings He has poured upon us through the years, successes and gift of ourselves.  We should all rejoice and make this occasion a happy and an unforgettable even in our life.   All joys and sufferings in life are blessings from the good Lord.  Naniniwala ba kayo dian?

            Many things that happen to us are announcements from God, telling us He is involved in our lives and cares for us.  Many events bear God’s fingerprints.  Everything that comes into our lives has meaning and purpose, and can be understood in the life of faith.  It depends on how open we are to the spirit, how willing we are to see God’s bigger plan, and how humble we are to notice it.  Maganda diba?  It affects heavy hearts and joy takes over.  Food for our souls.  Baon ninyo yan ha?

            When my Mother General told me I would assigned here in Santa Clara Parish School, my instant gesture was, “ayaw ko”.  All boys, what will I do with these boys, I am not trained to handle boys”.  It was almost at the same time I was pulled out from Pagadian City, was involved in community organizing on one of the remote barrios there.  I encountered NPA supporters in this area.  As soon as Mother Josefina, (my general at that time, may she rest in peace) notice my negative gesture, spontaneously she told me on the spot in her office,  “kaya mo man ang NPA-bakit ang mga boys sa Pasay? napatawa ako, at na challenge ako.  Kaya from her office, I packed my things for St. Mary’s Pasay Community, to report to Santa Clara the following day.  What made happy when I entered here, the students were very happy for the first time, may MADRE sa Santa Clara Parish School.  Ako na ang muse.  Nainggit ang iba sa inyo.  Hehe!  The students welcomed me and how they did  it, by going to my office in groups or individually.  The students and I had so many underground secrets and movements.  In spite of the odds in those days, hindi ako nag  give up , almost 4 years ako dito.  In fact, ayaw ko ng umalis, if not obedience – my vow.  Grabe and story of love namin dito makulay.  The teachers and personnel learned to like me after 2-1/2 years.  This is understandable – adjustment is a long process.  All those happenings inspired me during my stay with you.  Many things that happen to us are announcements from God, telling us he is involved in our lives and cares for us.  Many events bear God’s fingerprints.  Everything that comes to our lives has meaning and purpose and can be understood in the life of faith.  It just depends on how open we are to the Spirit, how willing we are to see God’s bigger plan, and how humble we are to notice it.  See the realization.
           
            My greatest advantage as far as intimacy is concerned, I had two (2) jobs in the school.  Directress and Christian Living Teacher for the 3rd and 4th years class.  It was quite a heavy bag on my shoulders, but I had to do this because no lay Christian living teacher would handle the higher years.  This arrangement was again a contributing factor in my closeness with the students.  It was a blessing in disguise.  Our negative experiences in your Alma Mater were a learning process.  We were teching each other in the journey.  I learn from you and you also learn from me.  Our journey was full of pains and joys, kaya matinik at Masaya talagang samahan, the reason for after sometime, missing each other.  I know some of you missed me a lot.  Naniniwala ba kayo diyan?  The graduating class that time were very much involved and affected by the signs of the times.  We became tight to each other in principle because of the events that went through in the journey to wholeness. Hindi ba malaking inspirasyon yan? Salamat, before I left, there were signs of improved camaraderie.

            Marami pa ang mga inspirational instances, but you know recalling stories in the past knows no end.  No amount of time can accommodate stories of the past.  It continues to pop up and becomes more interesting as we go on.  We shall never be able to this – limited time we have.  Important is to realize and remember that we have been together once in a lifetime and we tried our best to become an inspiration to each other for better or for worst till we meet again tonight.  Le us continue to praise God for what has been and will be – Santa Clara will stand forever in our hearts.

            We should acknowledge that the most significant inspiration for us all is the fact, until up to this time, the RVM Sister are still herein your beloved Alma Mater, to continue the ministry of education entrusted to them in this institution.  Let us give them a warm of applause.
                   

1 comment: