Monday, February 14, 2011

fra lippo lippin who?

 FRA LIPPO LIPPI WHO?

That was the question i overheard from  some of the locals of Ormoc, Leyte when i chanced upon Fra Lippo Lippi  during the February 10, 2011 concert in this town whose congresswoman is a showbiz personality.

I cannot blame them since based on the crowd i saw, most of them are in their teenage years, as  i bet  Backstreet Boys is  the "Fra lippo lippi" of their generation.

The Pinoy love affair with Fra Lippo Lippi started in the mid-’80s. The band was organized in the late ’70s but it wasn’t until Per Sorensen joined as lead singer in 1982 that they had a taste of chart success. From a band, Fra Lippo Lippi became a duo composed of founder and bass player Rune Kristoffersen and Sorensen. Worldwide success came in 1986 with the release of the single Everytime I See You.
In 1987, Walter Becker of the Becker Brothers (Sneaking Up Behind You) produced their next album Light And Shade for Virgin Records. From that point on, there was no turning back. When they visited Manila in 1988 for the first time, they sold out six shows at the 8,000 capacity Folk Arts Theater at the CCP complex in Pasay in two weeks.In 2000, Kristoffersen retired from Fra Lippo Lippi after a performance in Cebu. Sorensen continued and carried the legacy of Fra Lippo Lippi.

No other band or performer has done this feat in Philippine music history.

For 400 pesos, i joined the Ormoc crowd in reliving my bagets "new wave" era as Sorensen sung the hits like Angel, Stitches & Burns, Light & Shade, Beauty & Madness, Everytime I See You, Shouldn’t Have To Be Like That, The Distance Between Us and Later.

Coincidentally, i stayed in the same hotel where he stayed so i got too close and personal to him , the picture with sorensen as evidence .

When many bands began disassociating themselves from punk, New Wave era in the 80s and 90s  is characterized by music that tended toward experimentation, lyrical complexity, or more polished production.  It represented a break from the smooth-oriented blues and rock & roll sounds of late 1960s to mid 1970s rock music. "New Wave" came to imply a less noisy, often synthesizer-based, pop sound. They incorporated aspects of electronic and experimental music, mod subculture, and disco, rock and 1960s pop music.

In my IPOD, their music are usually sourced from the New Wave Diary mp3 series which includes The Human League, Depeche Modea-ha, New Order, Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark, Ultravox , Pet Shop Boys, The Psychedelic Furs, Simple Minds,




Who will see the beauty in your life
And who will be there to hear you when you call
Who will see the madness in your life
And who will be there to catch you if you fall


Everytime I see you
My life turns upside down
I tried so hard to find out
How to make you come back
But even if I told you
I can't hold you again
Everytime I see you I know




Baby, you don’t understand our love lies lost
But you’re still holding my hand
Oh and then you walk away
Just tonight, I want you to stay
You’re turning me on, you turn me around
You turn my whole world upside down

xxxxxxxx




1 comment:

  1. These songs are great. I will set as my phone ringtone. You can also visit the website to listen and download ring tones to your phone. All are quality and free:https://ringtonesmobile.net/

    ReplyDelete